Monday, September 27, 2010

Sand, Surf, and a Sunrise

I think I had mentioned earlier that going to beach to watch the ocean is one of my favourite things to do. I am lucky enough to live in beautiful Nova Scotia, Canada, where the ocean is only a short drive away. Lately I have been painting various seascapes and have completed three new, but very different ones. 

Daina Deblette Scarola, the artist giving me lessons, paints beautiful surf art and has also inspired me to give it a try. The first one I did was of Lawrencetown Beach, which is a very popular spot for surfers. I like how relaxing the beach looks, the "easiness" of this painting.  I found the waves were challenging to do and tried not to overwork them. I really like how the sand turned out, you could actually imagine that someone had been on the beach on a beautiful August day.

Lawrencetown Beach 2010

The second place I choose to paint was in Eastern Passage. This is looking towards the mouth of the Halifax Harbour from the boardwalk. The view was peaceful, almost tranquil amongst the busyness of the boardwalk.

This painting is only 5 X 7 so perspective on this was difficult. The women kayaking is tiny so getting enough detail was very challenging. I have been touching up this one more than I should, to try to give it more depth. I think it is done. I have to learn to let it go.

Kayaking in Eastern Passage 2010

I had to leave this one for awhile. I did not know what to think of it. I think it is more raw, not as soft as my other paintings, but it is starting to grow on me. 

Like I said earlier, three very different paintings.

Sunrise from Thebaud Platform 2010

4 comments:

LG said...

Well you've certainly done a good job Kerry. I certainly like them especially no's 1 and 2 and can only imagine how difficult it must be to try paint rolling waves. And the sand looks so real! Well done, as I said before you certainly have the talent...

Have a wonderful week ahead

Kerry said...

Thanks LG. I am so lucky to be so close to the ocean and to be able to do this :)

Canadian in Colorado said...

You are really developing your gift. I love the Lawrencetown painting in particular and it brings back memories of going there with you and Bruce.

Kerry said...

Thanks Kelly! The beach is beautiful there, hopefully we'll all go there again soon.