Friday, September 17, 2010

Mosaic For Mental Health

In my professional career, I have worked in  health care, particularly in the field of mental health for a number of years.  After I went to university I volunteered and worked in mental health and I am pretty passionate about working in this field. I have worked with both children and adults and I am lucky, I love what I do. I have learned so much from the people I have worked with. I think my passion for this field also started with my mom Gladys. She was a Guidance Counselor and taught school for many years. She was also passionate about helping the young people she worked with, it must have rubbed off on me.

By this point, you are probably wondering why am I talking about this...well,  every year the local branch of the Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) holds an Art Exhibition and sale known as the Mosaic for Mental Health.  Artwork is submitted by local artists, on 6 X 6 tiles and then displayed at The Craig Gallery  in Dartmouth, NS.  It is a wonderful fundraiser for a very important cause. CMHA does amazing work with people with mental illness through their various programs, supports and advocacy. I volunteered with them years ago and learned a great deal.

Every year I would see the advertisement for the exhibition and sale and would think to myself, I would love to submit artwork, what a wonderful opportunity for a wannabe artist like myself.  I never had the guts until this year, last year I actually bought materials, and I have yet to take the plastic off the Masonite board! This year I actually mustered up enough courage to go and pick up the tiles from the office, shortly after I took my first oil painting lesson. A  little too ambitious probably... but I am at an age now where I am willing to put myself out there more instead of standing back. I was really glad I did, since then, a few weeks ago, I have completed four tiles for the show. I am really looking forward to the Exhibition which opens on October 14 (Gladys' birthday by the way!) and runs until Sunday October 31th, 2010. It will also be part of the NOCTURNE art at night on Saturday, October 16 6:00pm until midnight.

This year the theme is Hope. Three of the tiles I completed explored the concept of Hope as a window, contrasting a mono-chromed pallette with full colour. This concept was taking from my personal experience as well as learning from the people I have worked with over the years who have experienced a depression in their life. I have been told that it is like a fog, or distortion over everything, like a lens that causes everything to be blue, or bleak. I wanted to try and capture that concept. The contrasting colour of  the circle or panel, represents hope or a different way of seeing that peeks through the greyness which has it's own beauty.

Tree - Oil on Masonite


Sunrise - Oil on Acrylic

The Rose - Oil on Masonite


The fourth tile I completed is of a young girl sitting watching the ocean during her summer break,  representing a quiet time amidst all of the activity and the positivity that many young children portray. I think this one is my favourite so far. I really like how it turned out, I was excited when I finished it, as I was pleased with the depth and life in the painting.

Summer Break - Oil on Masonite


I know I have a ways to go, but with this one, it gives me motivation to keep on working. I am happy with the results coming from a rookie for such an important cause and I hope that my contribution will help a bit.





4 comments:

LG said...

You certainly are creative and I like your paintings especially the little girl one...I hope they make it worth your while. I'm studying part time BA majoring in school guidance/counselling and perhaps Honours in Specil Education, we'll have to see...

:))

Keep up the god work and pop in sometime

Kerry said...

Thank You. It is my favourite so far as well.
Good choice in studies, challenging but rewarding:)

Anonymous said...

We've taken a peek at your blog... nice soft muted look you have. Realllly like all your child/people paintings; you are capturing the moment :) Congratulations on taking that jump head-first. Yes your mom and babies have been wonderful inspiration, but You have IT In You, and are allowing it to come out and Play!!! enjoy!
DDS's m&d!

Kerry said...

Thank you so much the kind words, they are so appreciated! I wouldn't be doing this right now without DDS:-)