Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Light, Colour & Too Much Enthusiasm?


I had my first lesson and have been hooked or "obsessed" with painting ever since. I have completed three new paintings. My new found enthusiasm has caused a few mistakes (but hey, that is all in the process), some very late nights and I have taken over half of our home office!

I have done some self reflection over the past couple of weeks on how I learn.
 For me, when learning something new, I have discovered it is a two step process.
  1. I learn by watching or reading, visually seeing/imagining the process. I am definitely not an auditory learner. (Goes in one ear and out the other.)
  2. Then I have "to do." My first attempt at something new is usually clumsy.  (You should have seen me learn to ride a bike...not pretty!)
One thing that I do know about my learning process is that I have a tendency to research stuff to death! I have to know every detail about something before I am confident to attempt the task...this is not be the best approach for me to learn how to paint!
(Not very productive either!) Expensive too...do I really need another book? Though I do love books.

From all my "doing" and "reflecting".  This is what I came up with...

Lessons I have learned... 
(Just remember I am a rookie.

  1. Colour mixing is tricky. Colour theory is not that exciting, important, but not that exciting.
  2. Good lighting is important.
  3. Masonite has to be primed first...oops! (Sigh...a story for another day.) (Research would have helped this one!)
  4. You can get so caught up in the highlights and colours, that you mess up on perspective!
  5. I also learned that I am doing pretty good, better than I thought I would!
Can't wait until the next lesson. :) 
Dahlia
    The Road
    Sunrise





    No comments: