Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Gladys' Inspiration

Well, since I have been spending time talking about what inspires me and my new obsession, I thought I would take some time to talk about my mom Gladys and what inspired her. Of course, I was only 12 years old at the time so I am making a few leaps here.  Mom was a teacher, and always had her summers off, which was great when I was a kid. Many of those summers were spent at the beach at a cottage on the Northumberland Strait. I know it was a favourite place of her's, and we spent as much time there as possible. The ocean and the sea are the subject of many of her paintings. As a result it is also one of my favourite places too.
I have quite a few of her paintings and many of them are in storage, but I will share three more of them here.

Seascape by Gladys
Oil on Canvas Panel

Seascape by Gladys
Oil on Canvas Panel

Seascape by Gladys
Oil on Canvas Panel



I love the colours and rawness in her paintings. If I remember correctly she used a palette knife a lot when painting. My oldest daughter has the top one in her room and it is very special to her as she never had a chance to meet her.

She was a special person, and though I was young when she passed, her positivity and "joie de vie" has had a lasting impression.

Thanks Mom.


Dedicated to Gladys - who died Wednesday September 22, 1982 age 40.




3 comments:

loripop326 said...

Really enjoyed reading this. Losing my Mom was one of the hardest things that I've ever had to face... but the inspiration that she continues to bring me every day will always be a gift. Thanks for sharing a bit of your Mom :)

Kerry said...

Thanks for the lovely comment. It is wonderful that your mother continues to inspire you as well, what a lovely gift she has left.

Canadian in Colorado said...

This is wonderful and I know that Mom would be so proud of the mother, woman and artist you have become. Keep up the great work on your paintings. They are really amazing.