Monday, September 13, 2010

Creativity & Lessons Learned

Since my last lesson, I have found that the more I paint or think about painting, the more ideas I have for the next project. I also have been thinking a lot about creativity and how we are inspired. There is a video of John Cleese on YouTube talking about the creative process to Flemmish students and I found it very interesting. I love how he explains his experience with creativity and how to nurture the process. (Thanks to Wry & Ginger for tweeting this link!)

I am also reading the book "The Artist Within" by Betty Edwards I told you I'm obsessed! I love the way she talks about art, creativity and the brain in her books.  This has helped me realize that the process is important and I think sometimes I get too caught up in the product or result and I don't give the process a chance.

I have also realized that the space and tools are important too. I decided that if I was going to take this seriously, I need good quality materials, and a space to work in, particularly before my next lesson. I went to an Art Supply store earlier in the week and purchased paint, solvents, Gesso, brushes and canvas. I had been using inexpensive paints before,  but once I had a chance to use better quality paints, I did notice a difference. I also set up a space where I can work. It was important to do this because if I hadn't, the materials would have stayed in a box and I would have given up too quickly.

I had my second lesson the other day which was fantastic!  I have been painting a lot since the last lesson and I had a lot of questions, from how to mix medium, to where to get the best brushes.
I learned a lot from this lesson, Daina is such a great teacher, she makes it look so easy. 

I painted Gladiolus and I am quite pleased with how they turned out, but the composition needs work.  I received great feedback, and the next time I will try to take up more of the canvas because they appear to be just floating there.  As you can tell, it is definitely a learning curve for me.
 
Gladiolus 2010

What it would have looked like if it had filled the canvas.
I also reworked another painting I had done previously because I felt it was flat. It now appears to have some more depth.

Dahlia 2010

Dahlia (reworked)

2 comments:

LG said...

You certainly have talent Kerry..very nicely done.I'm trying to work on my creative process..but I lack 'inspiration' since I'm not naturally artistic...so I'm hoping to start working on mosaics..I very much like the materials..inbetween studies, family and work one has to deliberately make time, I'm hoping to make some time tomorrow...albeit to get started..

Kerry said...

Thanks for the nice comment:) It has taking me a long time to get to this point of putting myself out there:) I think once you find something you enjoy, the inspiration will come. Now finding time, that is another issue!