Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Collection of... Tears?

For anyone who knows me, they know I like collecting stuff. I really like art glass, pottery, teacups etc. There is something about finding the elusive object, a quest, a holy grail of sorts.

I don't have a lot of space so I have to be picky about what I find.
So I tend to ask myself these questions before I buy;
1. Do I really like it?
2. Can I afford it?
3. Do I have room?

When I feel I have enough or my collection is complete, I move on.

One thing that I love to collect, but it is getting harder to find, is beach glass.  I have more luck finding it on the less populated beaches. I love finding the different colours, particularly the blues, the greens, and the variety of textures in the pottery. My daughter loves it too. We have a rose bowl that is filled with an assortment of beach glass and other treasures.




I am not sure why I am drawn to it so much, the beauty for sure, but I think it is also how nature has taken something that was once discarded and made it beautiful, desirable.

One of my friends calls beach glass "Mermaid's Tears", which I think is lovely and adds to the mystique.

It's funny where we find our inspiration.

"Sea Glass" 2010 Oil on Canvas 6X6

2 comments:

steviewren said...

I've been to the beach (Alabama and Florida) many times and I've never been lucky enough to find a single piece of glass. Lucky you!

Kerry said...

You're right I am lucky:) It is getting harder and harder to find it along our coastline. I have luck finding it when walking along the less populated and not so sandy beaches.