Friday, November 4, 2011

Getting Real

Since I have started painting a year and a half ago, I have been exploring various techniques and styles. I am still trying to find one that really speaks to me. I do see a style emerging, though I don't think it is completely obvious, yet.

I decided that I really needed a challenge that was different than what I have been doing, just to help me solve problems of depth, perspective, and movement.

I chose to do a painting based on a photograph I took this summer while on vacation. I enjoyed doing this painting even though there were numerous problems to solve. I also had to ask myself a lot of questions as the picture was emerging on the canvas such as: "Do I want it to be a real representation of the photo?",  "Do I want it to be loose, relaxed?"

I think I ended up settling somewhere in between, leaning toward the realism side.

I am pleased with how it turn out and subsequently learned a great deal; however I am not sure if there will be many more like it.


Liscombe Falls, Nova Scotia...

Liscombe Falls, NS - Acrylic on Canvas - 12 X 12

2 comments:

Briana M. Corr Scott said...

Beautiful Painting! I really enjoy reading about your painting journey. I just wanted to mention that in my experience working from life ALWAYS helps develop skills in depicting perspective & depth, as the camera flattens & skews these things in a photo. Have you tried some work from life? looks like a beautiful spot. best wishes :)

Kerry said...

Thanks Briana! I love your work, it has been very inspiring for me. I do draw and paint from life too, though not enough. I have been taking some night classes which has helped. A lot has been from my imagination too :)